Friday, April 17, 2009

Architecture Tour: 3-story renovated Tribeca apartment

Yesterday, I was invited to take a tour of a top-secret 3-story apartment renovation occuring somewhere in Tribeca. Before yesterday, I did not even know a 3-story apartment was possible in Manhattan!

This thing used to be Robert DeNiro's 2 floor apartment and then the bottom floow used to be Harvey Keitel's apartment. Badda bing! All in, about 6,000 sq ft, $15M price tag with another $15-20M in renovations and fees.
I guess the purchaser bought both apartments and is connecting them to make one huge pimp pad.
Some features include:
15 foot glass doors
Indoor Basketball Hoop
Winding staircases
Extraordinary finishes
Feeling really really rich

Now I am not an architect. In fact, I can't believe I spelled that correctly. But I really appreciated the use of space and the "theme" throughout the massive apartment.

For some pics, see below. Oh, and the landscape photos are from his roofdeck (so I guess technically he owns 4 floors).

When you first walk in and look up, you'll notice this amazing skylight with reflective materials. Trippy.
Here we are in the kitchen. A special metal material was treated in a way to create the graphical effect on the walls. This theme is throughout the whole apartment. You can tell from the top of P's head how high the ceilings are. (15 ft)
Here is the view from their ample rooftop. 360 degree view, nothing blocking the awesome views.

This feature I thought was really cool. It's a skylight with a motorized reflective mirror so that you can actually get a view of the city or water from inside the apartment. It is motor-controlled. I was more excited about this than a lot of other things.


Here is one of two chandeliers. The other is just on the other side of the massive kitchen. Classy.



Here is a shot of the ceiling. It's actually a square block. These are everywhere in the apartment - a play on using volume consistently throughout the space. I believe the wood is white cedar.


Finally, the kids (yes they have kids) have their own bathrooms. I really liked these faucet handles.

No comments: