Wednesday, September 30, 2009

U2 at Giants Stadium

I caught U2 at Giants Stadium last week and it was pretty incredible. What I mean by that is their stage setup ("The Claw") was insanely huge. Bono's voice was definitely on (unlike some previous U2 concerts I've attended) and The Edge was shredding with the confidence that makes him The Edge.

Their playlist was a little heavy on the newest album material (which barely anyone knew) but they pleased the crowd with such hits as "One", "With or Without You", and "Sunday Bloody Sunday." The one thing I liked during "Sunday Bloody Sunday" was the screen showing pictures of the recent uprising in Iran against corrupt voting.

In the end I didn't like the lack of intimacy that you usually feel at a U2 concert. Maybe it was the outdoor experience, or maybe it was The Claw, but I have felt more warm and fuzzy after other concerts.

The biggest hit for me was when they played "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)" off the Achtung Baby album. I have never heard them play this live, nor have I ever heard a live recording of it, so that was cool! Now, why didn't they just move onto "Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World?" That's my favorite U2 song.

No comments: